10 May Signs of a Weakened Immune System and How to Boost It
Now more than ever, many of us are concerned about having a weakened immune system and ways to boost it so we can live a healthy lifestyle. That means we need to keep a watchful eye on family members and ourselves for any signs of a compromised immune system as well as taking proactive steps to stay well.
How can your immune system become weak?
You may be surprised at the number of common factors that can weaken the immune system. Once you know what they are, however, you can take steps to reduce or even eliminate their impact. For example, these can all negatively affect immunity:
- Poor diet / deficient in adequate nutrients
- Insufficient sleep (less than 7 to 8 hours nightly)
- Poor digestion, which affects the ability to absorb nutrients
- Unmanaged stress (which can also cause sleep and digestive problems)
- Exposure to toxins in food, water, air, household and personal care products and other environmental threats
- Certain medications
- Smoking and / or excessive alcohol
- High fat diet
- Lack of exercise
What are signs and symptoms of a weakened immune system?
To determine whether your immune system is in a weakened condition, consider the following questions and answer them honestly:
- Do you have underlying conditions (mild to severe) that weaken the immune system?
- Are you experiencing chronic or high stress? Long-term stress weakens the immune response, (according to the American Psychological Association).
- Are you tired all the time? If you’re sluggish and fatigued, it may be a sign that your immune system is struggling.
- Do you have slow-healing wounds? Cuts, scrapes, and burns will heal more slowly if your immune system is not up to par.
- Do you have persistent stomach problems? Most of your immune system is found in your gut, so when it’s in a weakened state, digestive issues can occur.
What are the short and long-term effects of a weakened immune system?
If your immune system is weak, you’re more susceptible to an illness occurring. The longer your body is not in its optimal healthy state, the more vulnerable it is for ongoing or reoccurring illness. Short-term effects include annoying symptoms such as cough, congestion or body aches to name a few. At this late of stage, symptom-relieving aids are helpful, but it’s always a good idea to take proactive steps in maintaining optimal wellness before it’s too late. Next are some good year-round suggestions worth considering.
How can you boost your immune system naturally?
You can incorporate a variety of lifestyle changes to help boost your immune system, including the use of various supplements. Here are some things you can do right now to strengthen your immune function:
- Get enough sleep. Adults generally need at least 7 hours every night.
- Focus on plant-based foods. Fruits, vegetables, nuts, and seeds are great sources of nutrients that support immune function, including antioxidants, fiber, and phytonutrients.
- Choose anti-inflammatory foods. Chronic inflammation is associated with many major health problems, including suppression of the immune system. Fruits and vegetables, olive oil, and fatty fish or flaxseeds (source of omega-3s) are recommended.
- Try fermented foods. Yogurt, sauerkraut, kimchee, and other foods that contain beneficial bacteria (probiotics) can boost immune function.
- Practice stress management. Lower stress by doing consistent exercises, yoga, deep breathing, meditation, progressive relaxation, or similar to reduce this immune system villain.
- Cut added sugar. Sugar is an inflammatory substance.
Which supplements can enhance immune function?
A number of natural substances have been shown to support and promote the immune system. Here are some to consider.
Among the first that comes to mind for many people is vitamin C, a potent antioxidant that can be found in many fruits and vegetables as well as in supplement form. Getting vitamin C preferably from natural foods is recommended.
Echinacea is an herb with a history of use to help manage immune function. Echinacea contain phenols which help control the activity of enzymes and cell receptors.
Olive leaf extract is a potent antioxidant that also has notable immune support properties. It may also help support the cardiovascular system and blood pressure. The unique antioxidants are comprised of mainly polyphenols. It also contains a powerful polyphenol called oleuropein which has anti-inflammatory properties.
Oregano oil and elderberry are also very common natural supplements for boosting the immune system. Generally speaking, most herbs support and build up glands and tissues that may be underperforming which ultimately affect the health of your immune system.
One supplement in particular that’s been experiencing unprecedented demand, especially over the last year, is Colloidal silver. Silver’s been safeguarding human health worldwide for over 2,400 years and respected for its many health benefits. Colloidal silver is a naturally occurring mineral in amber color liquid containing a mixture of ultra-pure water and ultra-fine silver particles. Most colloidal silver products on the market are allergen-free, gluten-free and non-GMO providing safe, year-round support for your immune system. Silver is also effective as a topical skin solution and even used in burn centers around the world. Silver also provides effective purification benefits. In fact, NASA and the International Space Station use silver for this precise reason.
Finding the best colloidal silver and how to take it
Colloidal silver is safe for the whole family and even pets and can be taken throughout the year. When shopping for a colloidal silver supplement, look for bottles containing between a minimum of 50ppm and up to 500ppm (parts per million).
- 50ppm is ideal for immune support maintenance.
- If you’re traveling or are around lots of people, then 250ppm is suggested for enhanced immune support.
- The 500ppm formula is perfect if you’re looking for maximum strength.
Size also matters so look for a colloidal silver supplement with exceedingly small particles—1 to 10 nanometers, as it’s the most effective. It’s also important that the colloidal silver supplement be verified by independent third-party laboratories to validate the formula’s quality and accuracy.
True colloidal silver will be an amber color liquid. In fact, the darker the color, the higher the concentration of colloidal silver which means you’re getting stronger immune support. Ensure the silver product’s liquid is amber color for optimal effectiveness.
Natural Path Silver Wings meets all of these above-mentioned important criteria. It’s the oldest manufacturer of colloidal silver in the U.S. with a complete and comprehensive line of silver products for both immune support and topical skin care gel tubes.
Silver Wings has earned the 2020 Best of Supplements award for “Best Immunity” category, the 2020 Parents’ Picks award for “The Best Family Health & Safety Product” and Mom’s Choice Award for “Best in Family-Friendly Products.”
Power-up your immune protection
Supporting and maintaining a healthy immune system is critically important- especially now-a-days, so it’s good to recognize when your system is weak and how to remedy it. Both healthy lifestyle habits and your supplement choices can play a big role in keeping your immune function in tip-top shape. Natural Path Silver Wings pharmaceutical grade colloidal silver supplements in either liquid dropper or spray bottles are safe, convenient and easy to take. With our lives now on heightened immune alert, shouldn’t you ensure having optimal protection?
Shoemaker S. 9 ways to boost your body’s natural defenses. Healthline 2020 Apr 1
Somerville V et al. The effect of olive leaf extract on upper respiratory illness in high school athletes: a randomized control trial. Nutrients 2019; 11(2): 358